Gym and Fitness Centre Insurance For Self-Employed Instructors

Image by Landys Chemist CC0

Self-employed fitness instructors need insurance to protect from loss of income due to illness or injury, and any claims that are made by a third party – even when working on someone else’s premises. Here is what cover you should have and why…

Pubic Liability Insurance

It isn’t a legal requirement for a freelance fitness instructor to have public liability insurance, but many gyms would not allow you to run sessions without it. It would also be quite foolish not to have this cover in place given the financial impact a claim against you could have if successful.

This type of insurance protects against the following:

  • If your client is injured (or causes injury to another person) and it is deemed to be your negligence that allowed it to happen, the client could sue you. Costs are based on the seriousness of the injury and the affects on the injured persons life.
  • If you or your client causes damage to gym equipment in the space you are using or the property itself, the fitness centre will seek compensation for the damage.

Professional Indemnity Insurance

This insurance relates to your position as an expert. Should you give a client advice that subsequently causes them an injury, your client could then seek compensation for your harmful advice.

Personal Accident Insurance

As a personal trainer, your body is your business – and if you get an injury that stops you from being able to use your body effectively – your business WILL be affected.

Insuring against personal injury can help the following:

  • Cover living costs until you have recovered.
  • Help meet costs of recovery such as physiotherapy. 

Sports Equipment Insurance

Training equipment and clothing doesn’t come cheap – which is why you’d be wise to insure against the loss, theft or damage of equipment you own. Policies can cover items that are in use or stored inside or outside a trainers place of work or residence – excellent if you are a personal trainer that frequently travels with equipment, and provides private sessions at a clients home or workplace.

To find out more about getting the right insurance for your needs as a self-employed fitness instructor, please contact us for more information.