Reducing The Risk in Motor Fleets
To keep your premiums down, you need to reduce your risk. When you are running a fleet, especially if it is a large fleet – that means keeping tabs on a lot of liabilities!
Introducing mandatory checks can be one way of reducing, and managing those risks.
Daily Maintenance Checklist
- Fuel/oil leaks
- Battery security
- Tyres and wheel fixings
To be fully effective drivers should detail a problem or indicate that there isn’t one by annotating “None”. The checklist should then be signed, dated and kept on record for 15 months.
Fleet owners can also manage the risk of driver fatigue.
Driver Fatigue Guidelines
- No long journeys after inadequate sleep
- Take a 15 minute break for every 2 hours of driving
- Stop in overnight accommodation where necessary to facilitate good rest
- Young male drivers (18 to 30)
- Truck Drivers
- Shift workers
- Company car drivers
- Sleep apnoea sufferers
- Early hours driving (2am to 6am)
- Mid afternoon driving (2pm to 4pm)
- Motorway driving
We offer specialist insurance for large fleets of over 250 vehicles. To find out how we can help you reduce your risk so your claims don’t cost more than your premium each year call 01245 500433.