Temporary Events Notices Explained

Temporary Events Notices Explained Insurance Experts image

If you are planning on holding an event for fewer than 500 people that will carry out a licenced activity, you will need to consider putting in an application for a Temporary Events Notice (TEN).

Activities that require a TEN

  • Selling alcohol
  • Serving alcohol
  • Providing entertainment
  • Serving hot food and beverages after 11pm

Other restrictions include the length of the event, and age upon application. Maximum running time that the notice covers is 168 hours, or 7 days, and applicants must be at least 18.

If your event will be carrying out any of the above you must apply to your local council at least 10 working days before the event. They will then “serve” a Temporary Events Notice.

A person can apply for up to 5 TENs per year on the same premises, unless they already hold a license to serve alcohol in which case they can apply for 50. However, a single premises can have up to 12 notices applied for in the space of a year.

Event organisers should note that consecutive events must have at least a 24 hour gap between them.

A Temporary Events Notice costs £21, and the application must be from an individual, not an organisation.

For more information about holding an event, we recommend you contact your local authority, however, to discuss insurance for your event – get in touch with us on 01245 500433.